Thursday, December 12, 2013

Santa Cruz de la Tierra

Rodrigo and I in the Flota heading to Santa Cruz
This past weekend I went with a group of people from church to Santa Cruz de la Tierra.  We left Thursday evening on a bus (they call them “flotas”).  It was a very nice bus with seats that reclined and had leg rests.  Thank goodness because it was almost a 20 hour bus ride to get to Santa Cruz.  As we left we had to pass through El Alto.  I believe it was my first time in El Alto at night.  There were Christmas lights strung over the main autopista which made for a very beautiful scene.  After we passed through the other side the street lights became fewer and fewer until the only lights were those of the bus.  You could turn around and see El Alto behind us in the distance with a dim glow as we got further away.  Soon after, I dozed off to sleep only to wake up a few hours later.  It was very dark but with the lights of the bus I could make out the sides of mountains as we passed by.  From what I could tell, we were riding along the edges of mountains.  A few minutes later I could see the lights of Cochabamba off in the distance.  I decided to wait up to see the city before I went back to sleep.  We were riding the edges of mountain cliffs winding our way down into the valley.  It was a little spooky because I could see mountains on one side and on the other side everything just faded into the darkness.  About an hour and a half after I first saw Cochabamba we were finally driving through the city.  I will definitely have to return one weekend to see the city.  After we passed through the city (which was about 3 in the morning) I closed my eyes hoping to get some more sleep.
 
What I saw when I woke up

What I Saw when I woke up

The next time I opened my eyes it was just starting to become light out.  Once my eyes adjusted I was a little in shock with what I was seeing.  We were still descending slowly down mountains but now we were surrounded by rainforest.  Everything was green and trees were everywhere scaling up the sides of mountains.  I was mesmerized by the green mountains and the waterfalls coming down.  It was the most green i had seen since I left the states.  Finally I again dozed back off for another short nap.  When I woke back up we were out of the mountains passing through the flat lands into farm lands and banana plantations.  Here the rivers were wide and winding through the forests.  We had been riding for about 16 hours by this point without any stops and I was becoming extremely hungry.  Luckily the bus driver was too so he decided to make a stop at a, well I guess you could call it a “truck stop”.  When you are on these buses there are no scheduled stops.  Basically everything is at the will of the drivers.  This “truck stop had a pretty good sized Cabaña which was serving food.  The special of the day was Majadito de Charque for 10 bolivianos (about $1.40).  Majadito is a rice mixture with some pork mixed in.  And on top there is a fried egg and a fried platano on the side.  It is a typical Cruceño plate from the Santa Cruz area.  I was very impressed because it tasted very good.  Looking around as I was eating, I began to notice how many fruit trees were just growing everywhere.  I was surrounded by mango trees loaded with huge mangos.  We then all loaded back up on the bus to finish our trip to Santa Cruz.
Majadito

La Cabaña

Me stealing a Mango

 
Waterfalls on the sides of mountains




Finally 3 hours later we were in Santa Cruz.  Getting off the bus you could really tell the difference in the weather.  It was over 90F degrees and humid.  It felt like home in the middle of July.  When we had left La Paz the weather was 60F degrees.  It is amazing how many different climates and different types of zones Bolivia has.  The country is not even that big but because of the mountains traveling takes forever, the weather is always different from city to city, and one place might be desert while the other may be a thriving rainforest; and all within hours of one another.  At the bus terminal, we were greeted by many people from the church of Santa Cruz.  After talking for a little bit we headed to the houses where we were going to be staying for the weekend.  I stayed in the house of a brother from the church named Fernando.  The first thing we did was take showers after the long sweaty bus ride.  I never knew how much I would appreciate cold showers until I got to Santa Cruz.  I know I have told you that I am amazed at how my Spanish is improving.  Well while I was in Santa Cruz I could barely understand anything.  I thought maybe I was stupid or something but then I began to realize the different accent that Cruceños have.  To me it was like the Southern Accent in the states but just in Spanish.  They spoke a lot faster and lower and they didn’t pronounce all the letters in the words.  For example in Spanish a phrase is “Mas o Menos”.  They say it as “Ma o Meno”.  Like in the south where instead of saying “riding or fishing” we say “ridin’ or fishin’.  It can very confusing until you get use to it.
 
Rivers beginning to widen

Small tiendas on the sides of the roads

Small fruit kind of like a lemon

The inside of the fruit

Our first night we had a dinner with some traditional food of Santa Cruz.  The plate was called Keperi.  It was like a chunk of pot-roast with cheesy rice, a yucca, and a vegetable salad.  It was extremely good.  We hung out for a while getting to know everyone.  Eventually before it was too late we headed back to the house.  That night I was able to ride a little bit on a motorcycle around some of the city.  It was a great feeling because it was a bit cooler.  In my opinion, it was one of the best ways to see the city.  To me Santa Cruz felt exactly like being at the beach… just without a beach.  Most of the restaurants are open air and have small patios.  There are palm trees everywhere (almost like weeds).  Everyone was wearing shorts of swim trunks.  Even the taxi drivers where wearing flip flops and sandals.  Most of the people had the laid back beach feel to them.  It was a great experience.  I really enjoyed everything about it.  But, I was beginning to miss La Paz while I was there.  Saturday we went to a park for the day.  Everything was green and beautiful.  It was the one thing that La Paz is missing; parks with trees and green grass.  I felt like I was at home almost as people were walking their dogs and kids were running around playing.  It was a very different feel from La Paz where dogs and kids both run around alone in the streets.  While in the park we played a game of soccer, La Paz against Santa Cruz.  Since we were over 10,000 feet lower than La Paz, we had an advantage with the benefit of the thicker oxygenated air.  But the extreme heat played a big factor on the people from La Paz where the temperature rarely hits 70.  Luckily I had a bit of an advantage since I grew up in North Carolina where we go from both extremes in a week’s time.
 
Beautiful Green Parks
Keperi
Our final night in Santa Cruz we had a Dance/Karaoke party.  It was a blast until they started playing One Direction.  I and the other guys took that as a cue to sit down and rest.  Afterwards we started singing some Karaoke.  I sung a few songs (in English of course).  Everyone told me that I had an amazing voice.  They must have been confusing me with someone else, but I just smiled and said thank you.  The next morning, which was our last day, we woke up and got ready for church.  Fernando, Jorge, and I went to grab some breakfast before church.  We had a typical Bolivian breakfast: Coffee, empanadas, and other breads.  We were able to talk a bit and learn more about each other before we headed to church.  At church I was amazed because it was the first time I had been in an air conditioned room since I left the States.  We had a great service and afterwards we went to a restaurant (again open-air) to eat.  Of course I had one of my new favorite Bolivian plates, Keperi.  A few of us had to eat rapidly because our bus was leaving for La Paz at 2.  We ate, said our farewells, and ran to catch a taxi.  We caught our bus just in time.  After a long bus ride we finally arrived back in La Paz a little after 7 in the morning on Monday.  I had just enough time to go home and take a shower before I had to be at work.  I look back at my time in Santa Cruz and I know that I definitely want to return to spend some more time in the city and see some more of the sights.  Additional to that it really had opened up my craving to travel and see more of the country and South America every chance I get before I have to return home.
 
A view out the window of where I stayed

So I am very excited to say that I received my first package from home.  I would like to thank mom and everyone from Orange County Schools Board of Education that put something in and wrote cards.  Thank you all so very much.  It was great to receive some words from people at home and also to get a nice box full of candy.  I’m not sure you guys know how much I appreciate it and to also know that you all keep up with my blog.  I have already hung up the Christmas cards on my wall and have started digging into the Reeses.  Again thank you all for sending me a little bit of home. 
MY FIRST PACKAGE FROM HOME!!!!!!

Things that make me HAPPY

No comments:

Post a Comment