Monday, July 7, 2014

Las Yungas

The Yungas
So I finally made it Coroico.  It is only 3 hours from La Paz but I’ve never been.  I have seen it twice but only from a distance off through the valleys.  Once after I did the Death Road on bicycle and once after we finished our three day hike of the Choro Trail.  I have always heard many things about this small city because it is a common vacation point for many people who live in and around the city of La Paz.  But now it was my chance to go and visit for a few days.  Like I said it is only a 3 hour minibus ride away.  It takes the same route as the beginning of the death road.  You cross up and over the Cordilla Real and then wind your way down through the mountains before entering into the lush green hills and valleys of the Yungas.  It is a very beautiful ride watching the black snow covered mountains transition into tropical green vegetation.
 
Coroico
                Once arriving in Coroico it was a bit cloudy and colder than I would have imagined.  Apparently a cold front was moving up through the valleys from Santa Cruz and bringing a bit of rain.   But since it was in the evening it was a good time to relax and get settled in.  I stayed at Hostel Sol and Luna, which is situated high above the main square of Coroico on the mountain side.  It is a very beautiful and peaceful place to spend a few days.  There were hammocks to lie around in and a nice restaurant to grab a bite to eat.  It is only about a 15-20 minute walk up from the main square.  It is surrounded by trees and tropical plants.  Also there are plenty of birds that will sing you a tune no matter what time of the night it is…

                The following day I went on a tour of a coffee plantation.  I have always wanted to see one and figure out where that addictive coffee bean comes from and how they turn it into that liquid gold.  The coffee plantation was owned by a Swiss guy.  So it was pretty orderly and you could be sure quality was a factor just like all products from Switzerland.  The tour started off talking about the different kinds of coffee plants.  I never knew that they needed shade trees over them to keep them from getting too much sun.  Coffee trees can come in different sizes and shapes and also have different color berries, but all the coffee beans look the same.  After explaining about how they grow the bean it was time to see what they do with it after they harvest it.  This was a pretty interesting process.  They had a hand cranked machine that peels the fruit off of the coffee bean and spits out the beans into a bucket.  The fruit of the coffee bean is not wasted.  It is dried and bagged and sold as well to make a special tea called Suntana.  This tea is used to help lower your blood pressure and has other good antioxidants.  After the bean has been removed, they wash it off and then spread them out to dry.  A couple of days later it is put into a greenhouse to continue the drying process.  Once it has reached 10% humidity in the bean it can be bagged and stored.  When it is time to sell the coffee they take the beans out of the bag and roast them.  Then the beans are packaged and shipped out the following day.  Once roasted a coffee bean holds its flavor for about 3 months.  After it has been ground it only holds its flavor for about 1 month.  After the tour, was a small taste testing of coffee which continued to blow my mind.  I had always been so curious about how coffee was produced and after this tour I just wanted to stay and work on the plantation for a while.
 
Coffee Beans growing on a tree
                Later on in the main plaza I met a tour guide.  He was willing to give me a good deal on some tours, so I asked him what was available.  One tour really stood out to me.  It was touring one of the black villages nearby named TocaƱa and getting a little background and history on the culture.  You may remember from my previous blog that many Africans were brought to Potosi as slaves working in the mines and coin mint.  After they were freed from slavery many moved to the Yungas and started small villages because it had a nicer climate.  So I talked it over with him and we planned the trip for the next morning. 

                So the next morning came around and Rolando came to pick me up from my hostel.  I walked with him down to Coroico.  It was a nice walk because he was explaining to me things about the city that I hadn’t known.  We then got a taxi that took us down the mountain, across the river, and up to one of his friends’ house that was a researcher.  He showed us a documentary about how the people came to the village and about how life was and is for them.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  We then walked up the road and veered off onto a path that took us through countless orange, banana, tangerine, and grapefruit trees.  We came to a small clearing where there were a few houses and a yard.  In the center of the yard was a large tarp where they were drying coca leaves.  There were also more fruit trees surrounding the yard as well as cocoa trees for making chocolate.  I was seeing some things I had never seen before in my life.  Sitting on the porch was an old man and lady with a young girl about 3 years old.  We sat there and talked to them for a bit before continuing up the path.  We next passed a house where a lady and her little daughter were hanging up laundry in the yard.  Apparently Rolando knew the lady because they talked for a bit and Rolando was saying how big the little girl had gotten.  I could really tell how enthusiastic Rolando was about this community and that he cared about them deeply.  He knew many of the people that we met and I was so grateful to have a tour from someone who was passionate about what he was doing.  It didn’t feel as if I was walking around with a tour guide but more like I was walking around with a friend.
               
Rolando's Friend's house

Path through the jungle

Drying Coca Leaves

One of the houses

Tangerines

View from Tocana looking back at Coroico

Main road (Only Road) through the village

Me Chilling by the river


                We continued walking and went through the center of the town.  It wasn’t that big just a dirt road with a few buildings and a couple of houses.  We then hopped back into the taxi and made our way down the road.  We stopped first at a coca plantation and then down by the river called Coroico.  It was such a beautiful place.  I just sat there on the bridge for a while watching the water run by and enjoying the warm sun.  Then we rode back up to the city.  Afterwards, I walked back up to the hostel and just chillaxed in a hammock enjoy the weather trying to figure out what excuse I could use to stay for a few days longer…  I can say that I fell in love with this part of the country.  I would love to move to Coroico for a while and work in the villages nearby in the Yungas.  I think it would be great working to help with education and planning in the villages and also building some things.  I believe that I would truly enjoy doing that.  Also maybe working on that coffee plantation…
Chillaxin'

No comments:

Post a Comment