Saturday, September 28, 2013

La felicidad es una decisión!

View out one of my families windows
Not much happened this week so I’ll give you a quick overview of things.  I visited a few families this week which was a little difficult because many of them were crying as they were telling me about their challenges in their lives.  It is always hard to hold back the tears while listening to them.  Many of the volunteers have been sick this week with food poisoning, colds, sore throats, and parasites.  The food here can be interesting at times in the project.  Monday I had Panza de Vaca (I’m not going to tell you what it is.  Just Google it!).  I’ll eventually do a blog post on food here in La Paz but first I need to take some more pictures and try some more things.  I have been pretty lucky lately since I haven’t been sick (knock on wood).  I pray that I can continue to stay healthy because being sick does not look very fun from what I have observed this week.  This week in Doña Maria’s cooking class we made the most incredible cake I have ever eaten!  I am eventually going to try to recreate it soon, but a little bit different.  We had a work shop this week for the parents of the families in our project.  The topic was sexual abuse.  Did you know that every day 20 kids are sexually abused in the La Paz area?  It is very sad that this is so common and that it severely damages the kid’s lives.  What I greatly appreciate about the efforts of Fundaćion Arco Iris is that it is attempting to empower these people and the kids to break the cycle.  We have the same cycle in the United States.  People who are uneducated and cannot get ahead in life and constantly drag their kids down the same road with them.  They live in extreme poverty because they cannot find jobs because they have no skill set.  Here in La Paz, many kids drop out of school to work and help support their family or get away from the poverty of their family.  The foundation encourages the kids to stay in school and get that valuable education so that they can in turn break the cycle.  Also the foundation helps the parents to learn valuable skills and ways to better the lives of their kids. 
 
Amazing Cake!!
Friday, a husband and wife (Kay and Bill) from the church in Florida came to help a family in our project.  They are spending about a week here in La Paz to see the work of Fundaćion Arco Iris and Hope Worldwide here in the city.  Justus and I took them to El Alto to one of our families who need help.  The mother stays pretty busy raising five kids and washing other people’s clothes and cleaning to make money to provide for those kids.  When we arrived to the place where they lived we didn’t know where to start.  We began by picking up the trash that was scattered around in the yard area.  We helped to organize the piles of clothes that the children had received from donations.  We continued to clean out their one bedroom home.  Afterwards we gave the kids a bath.  The kids were very dirty.  Many don’t bathe regularly because they don’t have bathrooms.  We warmed up some water on the stove so that they wouldn’t freeze.  After the kids were clean, I had the job to help comb the tangles out of the little girls’ hair.   I am not a professional at this but she was so patient.  She said oww a few times but when I asked her if she was ok she just shook her head yes.  It’s amazing what a little shampoo and coming out the tangles will do.  They all seemed pretty happy and grateful.  I think it is great that many people will take the time to come down here to visit and to want to help a family in need.  I look forward to many more visitors willing to do the same thing. 
 
Kay and Bill

Me very Concentrated trying to comb out those tangles
So all of us volunteers are about to begin a cooking competition.  We are dividing up into groups of two and three and are planning our dinner ideas.  We have two brackets.  One bracket is the volunteers here in the house and the other bracket is the volunteers in Niñas Obrajes.  We will cook dinner for all the people in our bracket. Each team has one week and one meal.  The others in the house will vote on a scale of 1-10 to get the final score.  The winner of the house will compete against the winner of Niñas Obrajes. I am really looking forward to showing off some more of my cooking skills because I still have some tricks up my sleeve.  Also I am looking forward to eating a bunch of good meals, but most of all I am looking forward to winning….  It will be no easy feat but I am always up for a challenge.  If anyone has any good ideas be sure to let me know.  I could use a bit of inspiration to perfect our meals and take home the gold.
One of my beneficiary 

Guinea Pigs.  I'll let you figure out why I have a picture of them for

No comments:

Post a Comment