Monday, July 22, 2013

Estoy en Bolivia

So I made it successfully to La Paz early Friday morning.  It's pretty cold here.  The high is usually around 50 degrees and the low is usually around freezing at night.  My body I think has finally adjusted to the change in altitude.  Surprisingly my headaches went away the first day Thank God. (Im about to get real), La Paz has a very dry climate so it kinda sucks the moisture out of your body.  Makes it hard to do Number 2 if you know what i mean.... butt i think its getting better.... 

The Rivers are very polluted and smell like pig farms

So i guess ill tell you now about the roads in La Paz.. I think I have figured out a few laws from observations (don't quote me on this) 1. If the person in front of you is going to slow you can turn a two-lane road into a four-lane road.  2. Traffic lights are more of a "suggestion", if you can make it then go for it.  3. Traffic is on the right side of the road (except when there isn't anyone coming the other direction.  4. The right of way goes to the person who can squeeze the nose of their car in-front of the person or to the person who doesn't hesitate.  5.  I'm still trying to figure out if there is a speed limit or not....


Iglesia Discipulos de Christo 
I got to meet with the Church on Sunday here in La Paz.  It was great seeing some familiar faces from the last time that I was here.  Afterwards me and a couple of the guys went down to a local pool and sauna and hung out most of the afternoon.  We ate at a restaurant named Pollo Copacabana.  It is kinds of a fastfood fried chicken place, But i tell you this, it was probably the best Fried Chicken i have ever had in my life.  I know its hard to believe but YEA!! They put Bojangles and KFC to shame.

I'm currently working on getting my work visa for the year finished.  Today I, the lawyer, the volunteer coordinator for Hope WW and the volunteer coordinator for Fundacion Arco Iris spent the whole first half of the day running around doing everything. First I had to go take a medical exam for working in Bolivia.  I had to pee in a cup, draw blood, take an x-ray, see a dentist, get weighed and measured, and talk to a physician. Then we had to go across town to a Bolivian Police Station where they took all my information and finger prints to get me a Bolivian ID. THEN we had to go to another part of the town to INTERPOL so they could again take my information and my fingerprints.  And get this, I'm not done.  I will hopefully finish up everything tomorrow.

It is pretty difficult not being fluent in Spanish.  So far i've been able to communicate decently with the help of Rodrigo and Jackie who have been showing me around.  My Spanish is improving with everyday but i still need more practice.  I believe tomorrow i will start my Spanish lessons with a local guy.  I have one more week until i move in to the volunteer housing with the other volunteers from Germany.  It should be interesting.

I'll try to take more photos when i get a chance.  I'm trying to remind myself that I have a camera so hopefully ill get some good photos to share with you all.





No comments:

Post a Comment